These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Friday, 30 March 2012

Sanctioned lives


We are all family. Aren’t we?

I have been discriminated against. This is no longer a surprise to me. I also know that I’m not alone in this position. So many people I know have faced discrimination for one reason or another. The first time I faced discrimination was a major shock to me, that has worn off now, but each fresh new blade of hatred (the root of discrimination I believe) still touches me, deeply.

The discrimination that anyone has to face can be for so many different reasons. It may be because of gender, ethnicity, sexuality, hair style, eye colour, shoe size, height, hearing, education and so on. The list is endless, unfortunately.

When someone made a discriminatory comment the other day I took offence. The person was not directing their hatred at me on this occasion but I still felt the pain.

Why?

Because in reality it was at me: it was me in a different family. 

The way I see it is that we should think this way: all discrimination is about me, but not me. It’s about my family: humanity. It therefore matters to me.

Because of that, I will speak out about it.

The person who spewed hateful vitriol this week was, in this case, talking about sexuality. They were in effect sharing conservative political views about the right to love. This may seem strange, but I laugh with an ironic twist when I think that people really think it’s OK to sanction love.

In my opinion this is an ignorant and selfish position to take. After centuries of outright assaults on people with a different sexual expression to heterosexuality, the laws were changed in many countries to embrace equality. The open cultural negativity was effectively shifted from the courtrooms to the living rooms of the individual nations. This is where discrimination is germinated.

Sanctions kill as much as open warfare whether they stem from inside the home or inside the courts. When sanctions are not challenged they increase their stronghold of control on any given situation, they direct the status quo of the environment.


The person speaking is part of my family. Families do not usually try to kill each other. If they do, then I think it’s perfectly acceptable to migrate to a safer family. One where your individuality does not have to be moulded to fit in with an alien way of being for you. I do not need to have my life sanctioned by anyone else. In the same way as the speaker does not. I tried to engage in conversation and reassured them that I loved them. I was met with silence and withdrawal.

I’m not sure if I can simply say, “If you’re not someone’s friend then you are their enemy,” however, I can say if you are not positive or neutral then you must be negative. Negativity and discrimination about me, but not me - is still discrimination whichever way you look at it. I’m just looking out for my family by saying that it’s not OK to be that way.

It’s about my family: humanity. It therefore matters to me.

I will speak out about it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts