These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Friday 31 December 2010

Poetry - The Language of Silence by Harold Rhenisch

The Language of Silence


Among the wild strawberries in the clearcut

next to a shallow stream


I am left to speak with horses


They carry Plato’s furniture on their backs

In the drawers of the commodes

carefully folded in silk

are their memories


The horses know about balance


Memory is my country

With each passing year it has weighed on me more heavily


and now I speak with horses


it has taken me forty years to come to this


Red ants scurry over the horses’ flanks

as we talk


There is a stillness to the air

It is as if a school of trout

muscular and cold

cat-like


are slipping through trunks

and over my hands



Harold Rhenisch

The Blue Mouth of Morning

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts