These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Tuesday 2 February 2010

Yes and No


I was reminded yesterday of something I have been saying to my younger sister for years, I have been telling her to think about saying ‘yes’ to people all the time because she is effectively saying ‘no’ to herself at the same time.
My advice to her seems to have helped her. I’m pleased for that.
Now it’s time for me to take my own advice.
I have been a people-pleaser for too many years to count: if you make them happy then they’ll like you – right?
Maybe.
But the flip side is they may like you for the time when you are pleasing them and making all their dreams come true, but will you like yourself?
Are you happy saying ‘no’ to yourself repeatedly?
Is it fair to deny yourself when you really want to say ‘yes, yes, yes’ to the things, time, space, peace … that you crave?
I think ... balance is required.
A little more ‘me time’ so that the resentment will fade and the happiness can be shared between you … and me.
Sounds fair, don’t you think?

‘Yes’

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts