These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Sunday 20 February 2011

Rear view mirror



I can’t remember the last time I went to the hairdressers, this is because I do my hair myself. My locks take a lot of time to re-twist but it’s a task I have gotten used to over the years. One of my sisters used to do my hair before I grew my locks – as she is a trained hairdresser, and the only person I felt comfortable with doing my hair. So, I guess I really should say ... I can’t remember the first time I went to the hairdressers, because I have never been to have a stranger do my hair.

The point of all this is that when you are at the hairdressers you spend a lot of time talking to them in mirrors. In the normal interaction between a customer and a hairdresser there is not a lot of face to face contact. As the customer sits facing the mirror the stylist will look at them through their reflection.

Taxi drivers are also adept at carrying on conversations through mirrors. They ask you intimate details about your life, and because you are unlikely to meet them again, the normal personal reserve is abandoned. You spill the most highly guarded facts about yourself as the journey progresses. Then you walk away from the cab without another thought about what the driver thinks about your revelations.

It is the same with the hairdresser or barber – because you are not looking directly at them you feel free to share amazing personal facts. This is how I sometimes feel about blogging: I am neither embarrassed nor inhibited here. I feel that this is my intimate space for myself and I’m willing to share it with ... anybody who glances in and sees what I am currently reflecting about myself and my world.

I guess I am blogging through a rear-view mirror.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts