These are my musings and observations on my daily life, loves and the laughter that are all a part of my experience of living now in the shires of England.

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Speakers' Corner



If I had a message to share where would I go? Maybe I’d head to London ending up in Hyde Park in London which is renowned for its Speakers’ Corner. Many highly regarded (and some not so highly regarded) people have regularly used this location to exercise their right to free speech. It is synonymous with the ‘People's parliament’ and some of the notable speakers using this forum have included Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin, George Orwell, William Morris, C.L.R. James, Kwame Nkrumah and Marcus Garvey.

What would I say if I were really there? What would you talk about?

Do we have anything to say? Will people listen or just heckle us? Does that even matter?

It’s the right to free speech that is uttermost in my mind at the moment. We are allowed to disagree with each other - that’s only natural - as is holding different beliefs and opinions, because we are unique individuals.

Other British cities and also other countries have instituted their own Speakers’ Corner. I’ve also found one – it’s here, on the internet.

And what I want to say is this...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts